|St. Mary's Cemetery was established around 1850. It is located in the 200 block of Homeland Avenue
on the grounds of the original St. Mary's Church. The cemetery faces east as is the custom of many
cemeteries. All burials are with the foot of the grave toward the east and most gravestones face east.
In old parish records the cemetery is termed "God's Acre", which was an old Catholic term for a cemetery. As
Father Paul Meyer says, it is "...where His blessed departed ones sleep the sleep of peace until the
Angel of God calls their bodies from the grave to assume the cloak of immortality."
The oldest grave marker is dated 1846, however the first recorded burial was Daniel Taylor who died at the age of 55 in 1851. Ledgend has it that the cemetery may have been used as early as 1700 when a flu epidemic swept through Baltimore. These victims were buried in unmarked graves covering approximately one quarter of an acre in the northeast section of the cemetery and marked by a single monument. Many of the first bodies were orphans who died of pestilence and poverty.
The Annual French Sailors Memorial Ceremony
Parish Burial Records
|Map of the Old Section and Marian Section|
|Burial Records From Old Section|
|View Gravesite Markers Where Available
Please note: This link will open a new window.
Close the new window to return to St. Mary's site.
The Marian Section and Columbaria
In the late 1970's Msgr. Thomas Tewes opened a new section of the cemetery on and southward from the site of the old church. This Marian Section has been rapidly filling up. A memorial donation resulted in the installation of a granite altar at the southern edge of the Marian Section. This altar has ben used for All Soul's Day Masses and Parish Anniversary Masses which were held at the cemetery.In 2008, realizing that the configuration of the land leaves few areas for expansion, the parish installed two columbaria to accomodate new burials.The St. Joseph and The Good Shepherd are located near the new altar.
** The Baltimore County Genealogical Society Tombstone inscriptions book has been reprinted and is available from:
64 E. Main Street